Chevron Canada is one of the best companies in Alberta to work for thanks to the support it gives employees to develop their careers and balance their work-life commitments, an independent panel of judges has concluded.
On Feb. 4, Chevron Canada was officially named one of “Alberta’s Top Employers” for 2015 -- one of 70 companies to receive this distinction.
“Being named one of Alberta’s top employers is a wonderful tribute and validates what all of us at Chevron Canada already know to be true – that we have a great organization with talented and committed people who are excited by the opportunities we have before us,” said Chevron Canada President Jeff Lehrmann.
Now entering its tenth year, Alberta's Top Employers is an annual competition organized by the editors of Canada's Top 100 Employers. This special designation recognizes the Alberta employers that lead their industries in offering exceptional places to work.
Employers are evaluated using the following criteria: physical workplace; work atmosphere and social; health, financial and family benefits; vacation and time off; employee communications; performance management; training and skills development; and community involvement. Employers are compared to other organizations in their field to determine which offers the most progressive and forward-thinking programs.
Among the reasons cited by the judging panel for Chevron’s selection to the Alberta’s Top Employers list were:
- Provides maternity leave top-up payments for employees who are new mothers (to 95% of salary for six to eight weeks) and offers a variety of flexible work arrangements upon their return
- New employees start at three weeks of paid vacation allowance and can schedule additional time off with personal paid days
- Encourages employees to develop their skills through formal mentoring, tuition subsidies for job-related courses, and a range of in-house and online training options
- Also manages an academic scholarship program for children of employees interested in pursuing post-secondary studies (to $2,000 per child)
- Lets everyone share in the company's success with profit-sharing, and offers a number of additional financial benefits including signing bonuses for some employees, year-end bonuses for all, and referral bonuses (to $1,000)
“Chevron is incredibly supportive of career development,” said Tabitha Bazely, a Human Resources analyst who has been employed at the company’s head office in Calgary for two years. “I am currently enrolled in a part-time master’s program and am receiving financial and internal resource support from Chevron to help me while I complete course work. The individual development is great but most importantly the things that I am learning can add value to our business.”
The companies named to Alberta's Top Employers were announced in special editorial supplements in the Calgary Herald and Edmonton Journal on Feb. 5. A profile of the winning companies can be found on Eluta.ca, a leading Canadian job search engine.